Tuesday, October 31, 2006

Vancouver Island Mommy!

For the 5 or so of you who have read my blog, you may have noticed that I haven't posted in a couple of weeks. That's because I have big news, and I didn't want my friends and family to read about it on a blog before I got to tell them in person. Of course that news is that I'm pregnant!

Of course, I'm not that far along yet; I'm seven weeks and three days, so I'm not even showing. But, I'm really excited. That is, when I'm not nauseated and half-asleep. So, since the cat is out of the bag, I though I'd share my most embarassing (and funny) story so far. It takes place on my birthday, which also happened to be the day for my first prenatal doctor's appointment. I brought my sister-in-law with me, and I thought I would have a physical, but it was just a consultation. No biggie, since having a pap smear is not my idea of a fun birthday activity. Of course, the first thing I was required to do when I arrived was pee in a cup. This was absolutely no problem, since I seem to have to urinate pretty frequently these days. I had my meeting with the doctor and then we met my brother and nephew for lunch.

After lunch, I had to go to the lab for my first set of prenatal blood work. The lab tech seemed to be having a bad day. She was positively grumpy when I arrived. Oh, did I forget to mention the fiasco with my last name? I changed my name after I was married, but in my laziness, did not immediatly change all my ID. In fact, I put off changing my last name on my medical because my medical was being paid by my employer, and I figured they would change it. So, when I got to the doctor's, they still had me under my old last name and I didn't know which name BC Medical had. Anyway, I think they found that it was under my new last name, because the requisitions for the lab work were also under my new last name. The problem is that my care card still has my old last name because it costs $10 to get a new card, and I'm cheap as well as lazy. So, to finally tie this in with the lab tech, she initially printed the labels for my blood work using my old last name. Then she realized that everything else was printed with my new name. I don't think I've heard such an exasperated sigh in a very long time. I just knew she wondered if I was doing this on purpose to ruin her already bad day.

Anyway, after she took like six vials of my blood, she handed me yet another container for a urine sample. I didn't feel like I had to pee, but I've never had a problem before. So imagine my utter dismay and embarassment to find I COULDN'T PEE. I must have sat in that bathroom for 20 minutes with the water running, trying desperately for something, anything to come. But it seemed the more I wanted it to, the less I had to. Finally, to my mortification, the tech knocked on the door to ask if I was okay. I had to tell her I couldn't pee. She suggested I drink a couple of glasses of water to see if that helped. So here I was in the waiting room of the lab, drinking huge glasses of too-cold water and willing my bladder to fill. I had had a large lunch as well, so the more I drank the more bloated and nauseated I started to feel. I began to wonder if I was even pregnant, because I had read that pregnant women pee a lot. Surely, if I was REALLY pregnant, I would have no difficulty. Add to that the fact that my doctor did not do another pregnancy test earlier, and I wondered if I had just imagined it all.

Finally, I could not drink any more water, and the lab was due to close in ten minutes. I crept into the bathroom to try again. You'd think after 3 huge glasses of water, I'd have no problem, right? Wrong. I barely got enough for a decent sample (insert image of urine sample here; I couldn't upload one to my blog). Of course, once I left the lab, I had to pee every hour or so because of all the water I drank. The Goddess has one SICK sense of humour.

Anyway, it's been a week now, and I haven't had anything else that embarrassing happen so far. Of course, as my pregnancy progresses, I'm sure there will be new depths of indignity and humilation to explore. And I'll be sure to share them with you all.

2 comments:

Small Town Teacher said...

hahahaha! My sis can't pee! hahahaha! That made my day. Love ya :)

Vancouver Island Mommy said...

Ppttttttttttthhhhhhhhhh!