Saturday, October 14, 2006

The Party Curse

I'm beginning to wonder if our house is cursed for parties. Last year, we held Thanksgiving at our place. That same day, my brother and his girlfriend broke up, so needless to say, they did not attend. My sister had to go back to school, so she only stayed for about an hour, and my mom had to leave to drop her off. My stepdad was working so he came late, and, to top it all off, my husband had a hissy fit. One of my friends, whom I invited since she had no plans, brought her ex-boyfriend who DID NOT get along with my husband. He was pissed that this guy was here and when someone knocked over one if his things, he totally blew up. Luckily, he waited until after dinner, but the party was pretty much over after that.
Then, this summer, I threw a party for my husband's birthday, and nobody showed up except for my parents. My friend from work completely forgot until the next morning, and my other friend and her husband had to work. The couple of friends that my husband managed to remember to invite had something they couldn't get out of, but he forgot to tell me until that night. And, another couple of friends got the day wrong and showed up the next day, only to find nobody home! I visited with my parents and felt like crying. My husband, who apparently didn't really want a party anyway but didn't say anything, played video games on his computer.
The third curse was my step-daughter's baby shower. The first problem was the time. I left the date and time up to her, and she picked Friday the 13th (I know, I know, tempting fate) at 2pm. Imagine my surprise when 2:30 came and went and no guest of honour. I called her at work (it was her last day), when she informed me that she thought the shower started at 5pm, and that's what she told her friends. I had told everyone the shower started at 2... Of course, that proved to be a minor detail, since the second problem was a distinct lack of attendees. I invited a few friends of the family (who didn't show up), and I left it to my step-daughter to invite whichever friends she wanted. She ended up inviting four people, and only one of them was here. One wanted to go drinking with her boyfriend instead, one had to work, and one had a horrible day and didn't want to bring everyone else down. Once, again it was mostly my family who was present.
So now I'm wary about throwing any more parties. We're thinking about having Yule dinner at our place, but who knows if anyone will come? Then again, maybe bad things come in threes, so maybe the curse is lifted. What I do know is that I'll leave the invitations to me.

4 comments:

Small Town Teacher said...

Good news! If you have Christmas at your place, I'll be there! That is, as long as it's actually on Christmas day. Yeah, you should actually make invitations that are flashy and give them out, like, a week ahead of time.

Vancouver Island Mommy said...

Actually, I think it'll have to be on Boxing Day because I work Christmas Day. I'll make you a flashy invitation if it means you'll be there...

Anonymous said...

As one of your boring ol' fambly members, I'll come for Boxing Day dinner even if there's no flashy invitation. Just make sure there's turkey. And gravy.
Just my humble opinion: don't give parties for people who seem ambivalent about having a party thrown in their honour. And if you're going to have a party, be a control freak! Have personal contact with each and every invitee. Hector them up until party day! Parties are serious business! I need an eye rollie emoticon...

robin said...

i agree wiith the momster, parties are serious bussiness. i would love to come for christmas dinner with the kid and all, this year.i need turkey!!!!!! i didnt get any for thanksgiving this year or last year so now i am on a mission. gotta love the turkey dinner. but it doesnt seem to be as good unless you are with family! i dont need the flashy invitation either but if your makin em it would be cool to put in the old scrap book.
p.s. i felt so bad when i read when you wanted to cry,,, it sucks when things dont go as planned, especially when you have very good intentions!