Friday, October 06, 2006

Poor Kitty!

About a couple of weeks ago, I took my cat, Asia, to the vet's because I thought she was diabetic. My mom and best friend both have diabetic cats, and Asia was showing similar signs that their cats did when they were diagnosed: drinking lots of water, using the litter box a lot and losing weight. Imagine my surprise to find out, after a urinalysis and blood work, that my cat actually has kidney disease. From what I read on the internet, kidney disease is very common in older cats - Asia is 13- and it's treatable. Vets don't have dialysis machines for kitties, so they use diuresis, giving lots of fluids to encourage lots of peeing, to help flush toxins from the body.
The next week, Asia spent two days at the vet's getting IV fluids to kick start her kidneys. Then, because her teeth needed a cleaning, she was to have that done after the IV fluids. Driving Asia to vet, I had a horrible feeling like I wouldn't be bringing her home again. It was all I could do to not burst into tears. During those two days, I jumped every time the phone rang, dreading the vet calling with more bad news. The ball finally dropped on the day she was to have her teeth done. The vet called because, while prepping Asia for surgery, she noticed that my girl's heart rate was higher than normal, and she detected a murmur that wasn't there before. She put the surgery on hold and did pulse oximetry (to check the amount of oxygen reaching the tissues) and chest x-ray. Now on top of everything else, Asia had pulmonary edema (fluid in the lungs), probably because her circulatory system could not handle the IV fluids. The surgery was cancelled and I brought Asia home, to go for a follow-up exam the next week.
Well, I'm cautiously happy to report that Asia is better. Her follow-up chest x-ray, which the vet showed me, showed clearer lungs. Her blood work was better. And I had a new job to do at home: subcutaneous fluid administration. Seems I can't escape from my vocation, even when it comes to my pets. Every day, presumably for the rest of Asia's life, I insert an 18 gauge (big!) needle into the scruff of the neck, and let 100ml of Ringer's Lactate run in. It looks kinda strange because a lump forms where the fluid goes in, and then as Asia walks around, gravity sets in and the fluid settles in the upper arms, usually more on one side than the other. So, until the fluid is absorbed, my poor kitty's upper arm, which is twice the size of the other, flops back and forth as she moves!
So, my home now screams, "A nurse lives here!" I have an IV pole in my living room, with a bag of ringer's, all set up, hanging from it. I also have a moral dilemma: how much of the equipment should I pay for and how much should I steal from work? The needles I have to use aren't available at work, so I'll have to buy those. But if I buy the bags of fluid from the vet's they're nearly $7 each, while the hospital pays only $1.21 each (of course, if I steal them I will be paying $0). The tubing is also more expensive at the vet's. Then there's the issue about what to do with the used needles. It would be so much easier to snag a sharps container and then return it when it's full...
Tell me what you think: should I steal this stuff, or suck it up and pay for it?

No comments: