Saturday, October 07, 2006

More Kayaking and Foie Gras

So kayaking was a total blast. My shoulders, especially the trapezius muscles are really sore, and I'm sure they'll be worse tomorrow. Ladies, you will know what I mean when I say it feels like my bra straps are too tight. It feels as if the muscles are being pulled down by something. But, it was a beautiful day, sunny but not too warm. I got the biggest kayak; it was bright red, and it was the only one we took out with a rudder. I actually only used the rudder for a little while, since I found it easier to turn without it. Basically, to turn, you paddle on the opposite side and lean in to the same side you want to turn, making sure you don't lose your balance.
By the time we got back to the dock, my jeans were absolutely soaked. It was like I was wearing wet chaps, since the very top of my jeans and the butt were still dry. My companions were also damp, although they all had the good sense to wear less absorbent pants. We went to the nearest bar/restaurant and had a beer, wet clothes and all. All in all, a pleasant afternoon, and one new experience for me.
On another subject, I just looked up what "foie gras" was, since I didn't know. I was watching "Take Home Chef" on TLC, and Curtis made a gourmet burger with foie gras, and I was intrigued. My high-school French indicated that "gras" meant "fat" and I was sure it was something to do with ducks or geese. I found out that "foie gras" is fattened duck or goose liver, so I wasn't too far off.


Turns out when I read more about it, I was really grossed out by it, and have absolutely no desire to try it anymore. In order to fatten the livers, the animals are force-fed a high-starch diet for the last couple of weeks of their lives. There is even a term for it: gavage. The feed is actually administered through a tube directly into the esophagus. Now, I'm no stranger to tube feeding, but last time I checked we didn't put 4 times the normal caloric intake into people through feeding tubes.

I know that some readers (if I have any) will point out that lots of animal cruelty occurs in the name of food, and that I am far from a vegetarian. But, I do try to take a selective approach in picking what meat I eat and what I avoid. For instance, I do not eat lamb, or deer or rabbit (or any other "cute" animals). I also will not eat any baby animals, especially veal, since I know that they do some pretty mean things to make it tender, like prevent the animals from even walking during their short lives. I will now step off my soapbox.

1 comment:

Small Town Teacher said...

You know, you can get organic, free range lamb, rabbit, veal and duck. Deer is usually pretty free range and organic. Foie means liver in french, by the way. Asshole actually turned me on to some of these foods. Foie gras is pretty good (and this is coming from Miss Picky).I've thought about the humanitarian vegitarian thing and for me, you either go for it all the way or not. Or you just eat free range, organic food. I honestly think everyone should have to go to a meat plant before they are allowed to eat beef. We should all know how we get our nice meat from the supermarket. I do know ... and I still eat it anyway.