Monday, September 24, 2007

My kitty has cancer

Well, I'm sad to report that my 14-year old cat, Asia, has cancer. It all started a few weeks ago when she started to smell bad. I thought maybe she wasn't cleaning herself properly because she's old, and I was distracted with caring for my baby. She steadily smelled worse and worse, until you could smell her from about 5 feet away. Reluctantly, I called the vet(reluctant because I knew it would cost at least $200 just to bring her in). In the two days between making the appointment and bringing Asia in, she stopped smelling bad. Just like that. Still, I thought the vet should see her. I was thinking maybe she had a tooth infection that was resolving on its own.
Well, one week, two visits, and nearly $800 later, I have confirmation that it is not just an infection. And there is not really anything I can do besides keep her comfortable. So, she'll be getting Fentanyl patches(too bad I can't steal those from work!), and as long as she seems to be coping, we'll keep her at home.
I know that some of you will think this is horrible, but I'm a bit releived that it's not a tooth infection. Yes, that would have been treatable, but it would have cost another $500-900 to treat, and we simply don't have the money. I'm already facing the possibility that I will have to return to work early, which also makes me sad because I love being home with my baby. If we had to come up with the money to treat Asia, I would probably have to return to work even earlier.
On the other hand, I am sad that I'm facing the loss of my Asia, who has been with me for over 11 years, through 6 years of university, 9 houses, and 2 provinces. She was my baby long before Ian, and I will miss her greatly when she's gone.

No comments: