Saturday, December 01, 2007

Snow Day (sort of)!

So I woke up this morning with the Peanut and gasp! It was snowing. Y'all that live here on the Island know it only does this a couple of times a year and this was the first of the season. I was so excited thinking I would take the Peanut out in the snow and...what exactly? He can't walk yet, heck, he can't even crawl. Snow is cold and he cries when he's cold. Hmm, maybe not as exciting as I thought. Still, it seemed a shame to stay inside on the first snow day of the year...
So after the Peanut's morning nap, I gamely spent ten minutes dressing him in his booties, mitts (with no thumb!), and a coat that's really too big, but it has cute little ear thingies on the hood. Then I put on my own coat and scarf, grabbed a warm blanky and headed out. Got the little guy all settled in the stroller for a Winter Wonderland walk. Got outside and, holy crap it's cold out! The wind was positively biting! I used to live in Edmonton; when did I become such a wuss? Walked about 100 feet from the driveway and was ready to go right back inside. Still it seemed a shame to get all dressed up and not go for a small walk...
Walked the Peanut around the block, with the wind blasting my cheeks. Peanut seemed content enough, though. Got back to the driveway and decided to go to the mall, since it would kill some time and it would be so much warmer. Maybe I could even cross some people off my Christmas list.
On the way to the mall, literally a five-minute drive away, realized I had made a HUGE mistake: I left the Peanut's favorite car-toy at home. It's this Winnie-the-Pooh fabric storybook with only three pages but they have cellophane in the middle and it crinkles. The Peanut loves making that thing crinkle. He starts fussing, but I think that maybe he'll be okay when we get to the mall because he loves people-watching, too. And it would be a shame to go back home...
Realized at the mall that it's a Saturday and it's Christmas shopping season, but I guess the weather kept other people at home because I landed one of those parking spaces just for mothers with small children, and they're ALWAYS taken. Saw this as a good sign, and actually for a Saturday afternoon during Christmas shopping season the mall was not too crowded.
The shopping itself was mostly uneventful; I bought some stocking stuffers and priced out some other stuff. I also bought the Peanut a new toy that crinkles. Then I realized, with 23 more shopping days until Christmas, that every time Iwent Christmas shopping I bought something for the Peanut. If this keeps up, the Peanut is going to be spoiled rotten this Christmas, and he won't even care since he's only six months old. But I just can't help myself; I keep finding cool toys and cute clothes and oh my god I'm gonna be flat broke very, very soon.
At least I have something else to keep me busy for a while: I'm getting a new kitty cat tomorrow! I picked him out from the municipal pound on Thursday, but they have a 96-hour wait period. He's black with white "boots" and he's about 1 1/2 years old, neutered, and seems really mellow. I'll be sure to post how he gets on with the Sati-cat soon.
P.S. I thought about it and calling my little guy the Boss just doesn't sound right. He's just not that demanding (yet). So, I've decided to call him the Peanut, since I've called him that since he was a 10-week old fetus. Even though it was kinda ruined for me when I watched the movie "Just Friends" where Ryan Reynolds' character is called Peanut by his mother and he's in his early 20's. Gawd, I hope I don't become like that...

No comments: